Wednesday, December 1, 2010

New in Town

I have never had a blog before. I mean, I am a Facebook junkie but, this is new for me! Up until tonight, I have been posting updates on FB, BBC, emailing them, sending them via text msg, and even making phone calls. The text messages and phone calls will still happen but, I am trying to avoid updating all over the internet and just keeping up with one place. I am not sure how good I am going to be at this but, I am going to try my best to make this blog work!

The boys are 11 days old today. I can't believe they are almost 2 weeks old!! It barely feels like it has been a week let alone nearly two. For their gestational age (born at 25w and 5d currently 27w and 2d) the boys are doing awesome. Their vital signs are stable, they handle hands on care very well, and, they are on minimal vent settings (21% or room air). Both of the boys do have a PDA(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_ductus_arteriosus). Jeremy and I have been told that it is more common to see a PDA in preemies than it is to not see a PDA. PDAs can be fixed with either medication or surgery. To determine treatment brain ultrasounds are done to check for a bleed on the brain. If there is no bleed, medication can be used. Sometimes the meds don't quite do the job and surgery is necessary to ligate the PDA. We are praying that the doctors are able to treat with medication and that surgery will not be necessary. This is currently the biggest issue the boys face.

We are trying to find a happy medium between being excited yet cautious. We have been reminded over and over that the NICU is a roller coaster of events. Two steps forward, one step back. I just don't want to get my hopes up too high and be disappointed when we hit a bump bigger than their PDAs. Jeremy and I are both confident that God will watch over our boys and guide the doctors in their care of Nolan and Logan. It is merely human to worry.



Nolan Wesley

Logan Lee


4 comments:

  1. yaaaaayyy I think blogging is a great idea,I can't wait to read how they progress. And in the midst of the updates maybe this will help you also

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, we love hearing how your boys are doing, Keep faith they are in great hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to have you in Blogger World! I look forward to watching and reading about the boys' progress & how they grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beatiful boys! Congratulations and thank you so much for keeping those of us on BabyCenter linked in! Many blessings to your family and good health to your little warriors!

    ReplyDelete