Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My baby has a TEMPER!


I have been a grump most, if not all, of today. I went to visit the boys and saw a side of Logan I had not yet seen. Something was really bothering my little man! He was on his tummy and kept lifting his head pulling away from his vent tube. He was kicking his legs like he was throwing a temper tantrum. He scrunched up his face real tight and it got very red. He seemed angry. The nurse tried to adjust him thinking that maybe he was just uncomfortable. She put him on his back and he continued to freak out. His arms and legs were moving so fast. He was still scrunching his face and turning red. I kept asking him what was wrong (I know that he can't answer me) and at one point he stopped and just sort of grinned. I thought maybe he was starting to calm down so, I went to check on Nolan. Don't ya know that Logan started to throw another fit and was desating. I walked back over to his isolette and asked again what was wrong. He had just had his diaper changed, he was on his back, his tubes were placed so that they weren't pulling against his gums or lips, he was tucked in, temp was normal, all other vital signs were good. I talked to him for a minute and he let out the same grin and calmed down. What a stinker! Jeremy is at the hospital now and I asked him if Logan was still throwing his fits, he said he had started to desat a little bit when he first got there but the nurse turned up his oxygen a little and started his hands on care and he's been fine since. I really don't know what was bugging my little guy today but sheesh! If looks could kill, I think his nurse would have been in serious trouble. ;)

So in my last post I told you about the boys' PDAs. Today I had the opportunity to speak with Logan's doc and he informed me that his head ultrasound came back good and there was no sign of a bleed on his brain so, they went ahead and started the medicine today. The meds are given in 3 doses. There are some side effects but, they are monitoring him closesly to make sure that his body, mainly his kidneys, handle the meds well. If they do not, then surgery will be discussed. Aside from the new meds, and his newly found temper, Logan is doing well and they are pleased with his progress thus far.

Nolan's head scan came back clean as well. He however, has not started taking the meds for his PDA. The reason for this is because he is currently on an antibiotic that is hard on his kidneys and the meds for the PDA are also hard on the kidneys. The antibiotic was ordered because of a red irritation that was forming around his belly button. The doc was concerned about an infection from the IVs that were in his umbilical cord and ordered the meds as more of a preventative thing. The area was tested and so far, no sign of infection. Once the meds for the infection are done, then he will start the meds for his PDA as to not over work his kidneys. When Nolan had his morning lab work done today, they found that his Bili (Billy) numbers were high. The doctor ordered that he be put back under two bili lights until the morning. The labs will be re-ordered and if his numbers are back down, he will then come back off of the lights. After speaking with the Nurse practitioner for Nolan, she also confirmed that they are pleased with his progress thus far.

Tomorrow we are hoping to be able to start a little Kangaroo Care or Skin-to-Skin contact. So long as their vitals are stable, the boys will both be able to come out of their isolettes to be held for 10 min each. I can't explain how excited and nervous we are for this! This is a big to do since the boys are on vents still. Respiratory has to be involved and in the room while we hold the boys. Their vent tubes will be taped to our shoulder and their oxygen may need to be adjusted depending on how well they handle being out of the isolette and touched. So far, when in the isolette, they handle stimulation very well. Typically if they don't want to be bothered they will let you know. If you put a finger in their hand they will grab it. When they don't want to hold anymore, they will let go and move their hand away from you. If you gently lay your hand on them (either back or belly) like a blanket, they will arch their back and give a little wiggle to get you to move your hand off of them. We are starting Kangaroo Care a little early but, the day time nurse for the boys thinks they will do fine. She wants to start early in case they have to have the surgery for their PDAs. If they do, it will be quite a while before we are able to hold them and have them outside of their isolettes. If they each do well tomorrow with Kangaroo Care, we will be able to KC the boys every Thursday and Sunday which just so happens to also be the days that they are weighed. Kangaroo Care will also help with breastfeeding. Typically Kangaroo Care is not introduced until a baby is ready to start feeds. If they are comfortable with KC then, they will be more relaxed when it comes time to try and get them to latch! Anything to help that process is more than welcomed. I have been told that sometimes with preemies it is a little bit of a struggle to get them to latch right away. At the same time though, Ive also been told that most babies "just get it". I sure hope the boys "just get it". My only concern here is about nipple confusion. The nurse keeps reassuring me that I need not worry and that very rarely if ever do they get babies that end up suffering from nipple confusion. We shall see. I can't be there 24/7 so, it is impossible to breast feed exclusively which stinks a little but, as long as they are getting breast milk one way or another, I should be happy.

Speaking of breast milk and breast feeding, I am pumping. What a task this is! First of all, I was very unsure as to whether or not I would breast feed. Pre-pregnancy, I was a smoker. I am actually ashamed to admit that I had an incredibly difficult time with smoking during my pregnancy. This was the main reason that I did not think I would breast feed. Being admitted into the hospital at 23 weeks was the best thing that could have happened for me and the boys. I was able to quit smoking and answer "YES!" when asked if I would be breast feeding. I had been told before that you could smoke and then pump and dump but, It just seemed so wrong to me. I am not doing exceptionally well with pumping, I'm not getting the amounts that my chart thing from the lactation consultant says I should be but, either way, some is better than none! I plan to do so for the first year. If I don't make it the first year, I will settle for the first 6 months. This morning I pumped and got an entire oz out of each breast and I was so excited. I just need to relax and know that I am trying my best. Maybe being able to hold the boys tomorrow will help with my "lack" of "lac"tation! :D
Nolan gettin' his tan on!
Logan: The Calm Before the Storm!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the decision to breastfeed. I breastfed my middle son for an entire year with no problems. And I've started to breastfeed the new baby also. You may have a problem in the beginning pumping only because you haven't really built up your milk supply completely but if you try to relax and get a warm rag place it on your breast when you start to pump and it should help with the letdown process and get the milk flowing. Glad to hear that they are doing so well and showing so much personality. keep up the great work boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh Ceara the look sooooo big today!!! I just want to smootch them!!! Good luck today with the Kangaroo care!! Love ya!!! OXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cannot even imagine how you are feeling getting to hold your boys!!! HOW PRECIOUS!
    Also, having had a C-sec can be a problem with the breastfeeding. I had a C-sec with my first, my body didn't really go into labor, and I had a horrible time with my milk supply! Because your body didn't go into labor, your milk is taking a little time to catch up... so stick with it! I didn't, and really regret it!

    ReplyDelete