Saturday, December 4, 2010

Happy Two Week "Birthday" Guys!!!

With the Holidays right around the corner and guests coming in from out of town and most of all, the boys in the NICU, we have been quite busy the last few days. I apologize for not keeping up with my blog.

Today Nolan  and Logan are two weeks old (or 27 weeks and 5 days)!! Overall the boys are doing well.

On Wednesday when I went to visit, Logan had developed this temper. He was insatiable. He would fuss, the nurse would reposition him. He would fuss some more, she would change his diaper. He would get fussy again she would check the ventilator settings (oh, I should clarify, by "fussing", I mean that his pulse ox would drop) and he would still just fuss! Thursday he was doing the same thing. I wasn't sure what was going on with him. After nearly three days of this "attitude" the doc ordered a chest x-ray. My poor baby has fluid around his lungs. He has been put on a diretic to get him to pee out the excess fluid. We saw him tonight and he seems to be much more comfortable and relaxed. He is definitely resting better tonight than he has been.

Logan has received his 3rd and final dose of medication for his PDA. We are praying that the medication will cause the duct to close with no problem and that surgery will be able to be avoided. Within the next couple of days or so, the doc should order another echocardiogram to take a look at the PDA and make sure it is closed or is at least closing.

Nolan has also been started on the meds for his PDA. He is one dose behind Logan. He will be getting his second of three. The start for his meds was delayed because (as previously mentioned) he was on an antibiotic that is rough on the kidneys (as is the med for the PDA). Before giving Nolan his first dose of meds, they did another scan of his kidneys and the report showed that his kidney function was excellent and that they were doing exactly what they should be in terms of processing the antibiotic so, they went ahead with prescribing his PDA meds as well. I am thankful that they have decided to start meds prior to finishing the antibiotic because Nolan has been becoming a bit more sympomatic than he was a few days ago. Nolan is also on a diretic to help him pee out the extra fluid around his lungs. We learned tonight that the fluid, which was originally thought to be caused by his chest tube, is being caused by his PDA. Same thing for Logan. His PDA is causing the excess fluid around his lungs.

Both boys have had their oxygen increased. They have gone from 21-23% up to 54-57%. This is a little upsetting but, it could be so much worse. The reason for the increase in vent settings is also because of their PDAs. When the PDA duct is left open, the blood bypasses the lungs. During pregnancy, a baby's duct is open so that the blood will go to other organs that are developing. Since the lungs are last to fully develop and babies dont breathe on their own in the womb, the duct is one of the last things to be completed or closed. As frustrating and scary as it is for me and Jeremy, it is more common to find a preemie baby with a PDA as opposed to a preemie with out a PDA. Docs and Nurses alike have told us that they would be more alarmed if the boys' ducts were closed.

Over the last few days, Logan and Nolan have each had a blood transfusion. Because they keep having so much lab work done and as "immature" as their bodys are, they can not produce blood fast enough so, the transfusions are necessary to keep their numbers where they should be. One down fall to the transfusion is that typically the following day the boys are back under the billy lights. I hate when their under the lights because I can't see their tiny little eyes and the shades take up the majority of their faces. I do have to say though, the lights are the least of our worries. I mean, in the grand skeem of things, the lights are on for a day or so depending on how low their bili number is and then boom! Once their liver has had time to process and break down the new blood, their bili number rebounds and the lights are removed. Once we get past the stage of needing the transfusions, we will more than likely be out of the stage where we need the billy lights.

I know you have been dying to hear about KANGAROO CARE!!!!!!

As previously posted, on Thursday we were going to get to hold the boys. We would be holding them Skin to Skin. We were told that we would only be holding them for 10 min each tops because they can't really sustain their own body temps in regular room settings. Well, we didn't mind. We were just excited to really hold our little boys for the first time.

Much to our surprise, we got there and were unable to hold Logan. He had just received a blood transfusion and was desating. He was just acting very strange (this was prior to discovering the fluid around his lungs). His nurse said that it would be best if we didn't bother him too much so that he could have a chance to calm down and rest. We were very upset about not being able to hold him but, we both agreed that it was clearly for the best that we let him rest. Not being able to hold Logan did make me feel a little guilty for holding Nolan. Jeremy felt the same way. I just felt like we were excluding him. My chair was facing away from him because of the way the space was set up and it killed me to know that I couldnt hold him or touch him.

The process leading up to getting to hold Nolan was very hectic. All of his leads (IV lines) were strung through the opposite side of the bed from where I was sitting and where the vent was. The lines had to be moved to the correct side which meant disconecting them and then reconecting them. That wasn't nearly as stressful as moving the vent tubes. His oxygen was turned way up to give him a little extra boost before disconnecting the tubes for a few seconds. The tubes were pulled out of his isolette and brought around to the side by the me and the vent. The tubes were reconnected. One nurse grabbed Nolan and placed him on my chest while the other was busy taping the tubes to my shoulder. He was so warm. I couldn't believe I was really holding him. Looking down at him he looked normal size to me. I mean, I know their tiny but, their perfect. The nurses were repositioning him and making sure I was comfortable and relaxed. I was fine. I was better than fine. I could have been hanging upside down from a tree by my toes but, with him in my arms I couldn't have cared less. It was a feeling I never thought I would have the chance to feel. Holding him was effortless because he is so light. I just put my hand under his bottom for a little support and he laid there perfectly. He went right to sleep. It actually made me pretty sleepy too. Nolan is going to be a drooler. As embarassed as I am to admit, he gets it from me. Ten minutes passed and no one said a word, his vitals were perfect, better than perfect. He was tolerating everything amazingly well. 15 min passed and I was still holding him. Finally, at 20 min, I had to put him back. I hated to do it. I could have sat like that forever. I wanted to stuff him and Logan both in my pockets and just bring them home with me. Leaving them in the NICU at night has not gotten any easier. Aside from not getting to hold Logan, Kangaroo Care was everything I thought it would be and more. That feeling a momma gets, holding her baby for the first time, thats a powerful feeling. One I will never ever forget.

Size Matters: The boys are weighed every Thursday and Sunday. This Thursday they were weighed and Nolan was 1LB 10OZ and Logan was 1LB 14OZ. Nolan gained 2.2ishOZ and Logan gained 6OZ. The nurse did say that the massive gain in Logan could mainly be from the fluid around his lungs. She said not to be alarmed if he drops a little bit by tomorrow or even next Thursday.

Hopefully we will find out soon about the boys starting feeds. They will only be started with 1/2-1 cc of breastmilk per feeding (in addition to their normal fluids, lipids, and sugars) until the docs are sure their tummies can handle and process the milk. Breastmilk is the best for babies digestive systems so, they shouldn't have any problems but, there is always a small chance that they will struggle with the first couple of feeds. We will simply continue to pray about it!

I do believe this is all I have at the moment. Jeremy just called and checked on the boys for the night and we are off to bed. I am pooped. :D Until next time!!





Not the clearest picture but, this is Nolan. He was just hangin out while brother was gettin blood!


Logan after his blood transfusion. Such a tough little guy!

Kangaroo Care with Nolan!
This is the only picture we have of the boys "together". Thank you Carrie and Joe! :D


1 comment:

  1. Ceara I have had you and the babies in my thoughts and prayers EVERYDAY. I check on things everyday. Praying that everything works out. Love You... Aunt Cheryl

    ReplyDelete